Eyelash extensions create a beautiful and youthful appearance without the hassle of makeup or other beauty products. But like any artistic piece, they require maintenance to keep them looking full and healthy as long as possible.
Here are a few ways you can get the most out of your eyelash set:
1. Keep them dry 24-36 hours after application
After getting an eyelash extension set, avoid any water contact with your lash extensions for the next 24-36 hours. This includes washing your eyes, going for a swim, a trip to the sauna, or even water contact during a shower. Your lashes can handle water, but the glue needs time to dry and set properly first.
2. Wash them regularly after the first 24-36 hours
Once the glue has had time to set, it is important to wash your lashes regularly. Wash your lashes every 2-3 days to remove any build-up around the lashes and prevent eye infections or other medical complications.
Here's how to wash your eyelash extensions:
- Brush your lashes with a soft bristle brush
- Using eyelash extension shampoo or cleanser, gently wash them with warm water
- Wash out the cleanser and enjoy your clean set
3. Brush your lashes regularly
Brushing your lashes regularly will help straighten them out and give them a fuller appearance. Using a clean spoolie, gently roll your brush downward and outwards using your finger for support if needed.
4. Avoid the following :
- Do not apply any oil-based products near your eyelash extensions. This ingredient can be found in eye creams, makeup removers, and even moisturizers.
- Skip the mascara. Some mascaras claim to be “eyelash extension safe,” but it’s always best to avoid them altogether. Mascara can soften the glue on your lash extensions, causing the hairs to sit differently and even fall out.
- Even if it feels good, avoid rubbing your eyes while wearing lash extensions. This could damage both your eyelash extensions and your real lashes.
- Do not use eyelash curlers. They will damage your extensions or cause them to fall out.
- If you tend to sleep on your stomach, try your best to sleep on your back. This way, your lashes won’t get crushed, making them last much longer.
How soon should you get your lashes done again?
Eyelash extensions typically last 3-4 weeks but with proper care, can easily last 6-8 weeks. You can always take them out earlier, but it is best to make sure a professional does this.
The bottom line
Eyelash extensions are a beautiful accessory to anyone’s lashes. They help create a longer and fuller appearance. By taking care of them, you’ll lengthen their life expectancy, saving you both money and time in the long run.